Thursday, June 19, 2008

Vinny Del Negro. Really?

Vinny Del Negro might have a funny name, but the fact that he will be coaching the Chicago Bulls for the next two years is no laughing matter.

After more than 50 days of hunting the Bulls settled for Del Negro, who has never (ever) coached at any level of basketball. So tell me, when did Chicago become a place for on the job training?

Don't worry, I'll wait.

Hiring Del Negro was an irresponsible hire for a franchise that should be using the fact that it dominated the '90s with the best player to ever step foot on the hardwood and brought six championships to hire the best and brightest.

Bulls GM John Paxson really let his fandom down with this hiring. Remember when the search started and he promised a defensive minded coach who would resonate with the fans? I do. Remember how the Bulls were linked to the defensive minded Rick Carlisle? I do. Remember how the Bulls were close to landing the offensive juggernaut Mike D'Antoni? I do. Remember when the Bulls decided they were gonna take a ride in the way-back machine and hire Doug Collins? I do.

And while Del Negro might be a great hire down the line, he's not right for this team. He's not right for the city.

Let's get it straight, I don't hate Del Negro. I don't hate Paxson. I do hate the hire. I do hate how Paxson has teased us with Kevin Garnett, Pau Gasol and Kobe Bryant. I do hate how Ben Wallace was a total flop, even though everyone with a pulse in the basketball world new that was a bad idea.

I do hate how the best coach for this team is coaching 90 miles north of Chicago. I do hate how The Chairman has handcuffed Johnny Jumpshot to the point where Vinny Friggin' Del Negro will get on the job training for a city starving for a successful basketball team.

And yes, I realize it's easy to blame Jerry Reinsdorf because of his penny pinching ways but I calls 'em the way I sees 'em.

Good luck Vinny. You'll need it.

No comments:

Blog Archive